Thursday, October 15, 2009

Would you rock these?


It's cold and rainy in NYC today. The perfect day to curl up inside with a steamy chai latte (I'm on my 2nd) but definitely not go outside.  Unfortunately, I had to run up to Soho to get a gift for our godson.  As I'm trying to wrestle open my umbrella and figure out which door will actually open to release me from the sterile white Mac store I spied a woman coming in.

She was teetering.  I thought she was going to be a goner.  She had on platform shoes and between the shoes, the rain, the cobblestones - I seriously thought she was going to bite it.  I hurried out but my mind stayed with her.  Must be a tourist was my first thought.  No one who lives in the city would be wearing those shoes in this weather.  No one who lives in the city would be wearing those shoes while walking around SOHO.  In my experience NYC is just not that fancy that you would put on your heels to go shopping.

I gave up wearing heels when I moved to NYC and haven't really looked back since.  Sure I break them out for weddings or maybe if I travel but never really when I'm home.  Too much trouble to manage getting around.  We walk too much or we're standing and waiting and that's hard enough without the heels. Now with the platform rage I feel like people are wearing stilts.  Which begs the original question - would you?  Not for this girl.


No comments:

Post a Comment