Monday, October 5, 2009

Isn't she a beauty . . .



I started this weekend with a Cheshire Cat grin on my face.

There it was 5:30pm on Friday the sun was sinking low over NJ, my hair was flapping wildly behind me, I was scared my butt crack was minorly exposed to West Side Highway (no worries it wasn't) and I was doing something I hadn't done in 15 years.  Riding my bike home.

The last bike that I had I received as a birthday gift my senior year of high school. It was promptly stolen freshman year of college.  Since that time I have been without the joy of 2-wheel transportation.  I used to borrow my More-Stylish-Sister's bike but that didn't last very long. Not because she didn't generously share it with me but it was too much hassle to go and get it.

On first moving to NYC there was no way that I could have had a bike.  Our apartment was sad, dark and cramped.  I didn't want to be there let alone subject a lovely bike to it.  Once we moved - we upgraded.  A doorman, a workout room, laundry on every floor and A BIKE ROOM!  My husband had his bike promptly sent out. I have been secretly longing for one since.  Four years have passed and my day has come!

Mine isn't as shiny and new as the pretty one up top.  I bough it used from a bike rental company (side note - I got it for 1/4 the price!  If you live in a major metropolitan area and are looking for a bike - start calling around.  They usually start selling the rentals right about now rather than store them for the winter).  It's banged up and dented, but aren't we all?  It is not really a practical city bike (it's HUGE!!  longer than our couch) but it's awesome.  I love it.  I just have to get a basket for the front so me and Chloe can get paddling around this city.  Check it out below.

 

Sorry for the dark blurry pic.  We had just gotten home from dinner and I was drunk with love for my bike.  This is how you can imagine me cruising around.




Let me shine a light on that.  I told you - bigger than the couch.   My husband was especially hilarious when I first wheeled it in.  It was hard to maneuver the handlebars through the hallway.  Upon first sight he exclaimed,"That's the Cadillac of bikes."  When I stated, "You know what I need for my bike?"  His responses without missing a beat:
"A lazy boy"
"A cup holder"
"A windshield"
"A hangar"

I was thinking a basket and lock but I guess he's probably right.

No comments:

Post a Comment