Friday, September 18, 2009

Slacker Nation

I know I am from GenX, part of the slacker nation, turning my back on corporate America and it's cubicles. I should be forging my own indy record label, art gallery, or something that is creative and feeds the soul.

That is just not really who I am. I am way too German with too much of a work ethic to slack. I don't want to damn the man. I like the man. He pays for 50-75% of my monthly health care premiums. He is contributing to my retirement. For some people he helps pay for their education. I am a steady loyal employee who usually does what it takes. I can always be found with a to-do list and a deadline. I very rarely actually take all my vacation days.

Not so much today. I am a total slacker employee today. I took an almost 2 hour lunch, because I sat outside and read my book, then came back here and ate lunch at my desk while reading celeb gossip online for 45 minutes. Then because it was so slow I just took a 30ish minute "break" to go and get ice cream. Here is the part where I start feeling like a crumb. I ran into my boss while I was at lunch and we were talking about how nice out it was, what a beautiful day, and I joking said something about closing the office early on this beautiful day (really it was joke cross my heart). He just came into my office asked me about something, then told me I could leave early. If I wasn't being such a slacker/break taker earlier today I wouldn't feel bad about this at all. But I was so now I do. Or if the entire office was closing then I wouldn't feel like a slacker. But it's not, just me leaving early. Oh well I am still going to leave early because quite honestly I have NOTHING to do anyways.

No comments:

Post a Comment