Monday, September 28, 2009

Secret to a Perfect Wedding . . .




 Lish and I being model wedding guests.

I love weddings. There was a time a few years ago when we were on the wedding circuit.   At this point in my life, I have become an excellent wedding guest.  I don't mind saying it myself.  I always arrive early, am very enthusiastic during declarations and introductions and I can usually be counted on to cry during the vows and the speeches - especially if the person delivering it is as well.  You will religiously find me on the dance floor and I am unafraid of  dancing with grandpa. I know how to bustle a dress and I am a wizard at  spinning the bride to achieve maximum dress twirl.  I've been to every type of wedding: casual, formal, day, evening , big, small, traditional, themed, hometown and destination.  My knowledge and experience is broad and deep.

This past weekend we were in California at a wedding. It was fantastic.  So. much. fun.  When I think back on this wedding I get a warm, fuzzy feeling.  During our 6 hour flight home I tried to pin down why this wedding worked out so well for us.  There were several things working against us going in - we only knew a handful of people going, my husband was going to Vegas for 2 days before arriving and we had a relatively early flight on Sunday.  Despite these obstacles we had the time of our lives.  We ate.  We drank.  We mingled.  Most importantly, we left it all on the dance floor.

Despite doing our part to entertain ourselves and I'm sure scores of others this wedding was fun and memorable because the two people having the most fun were the bride and groom.  They were excited and present and leading the charge at every moment.  They were gracious and loving.  The whole weekend was about them.  From the rehearsal dinner bonfire to the photobooth we had fun because we were doing what they wanted to do.  Not what tradition dictates or their parents and families.  What they wanted to do.  It was absolutely perfect. And so are they.
 


 Sunset at the Rehearsal Dinner Bonfire

No comments:

Post a Comment