Wednesday, September 30, 2009

I thought we left home . . .


There are few things that I hate about traveling.  But there is one.

When you get to the exotic, remote, new destination - I hate it when everything that you find there is the exact same as the place that you left.  Specifically shopping.  I love a small, independent store with beautiful items and a diversified stock.  There is a perfect shop right across from Lish's apartment.  It sells everything from cards, jewelry, bags, hats, gifts and now even flowers.  This is the type of store that I want to find in every destination.

Usually instead I am faced with the same Gap, Banana Republic and JCrew that I find at home.  Now don't get me wrong I love all these places but the chains have taken over.  Same difference if it's Gucci, Chanel or Burberry. Walking along Robertson Blvd I could have been on Michigan Ave.,  Fifth Ave or Newbury Street.
 
Different wrinkle but same vein is this problem.  Not too long ago we were in Italy.  While there I bought a striped, scarf that kept me warm on the trip but was also a little different than anything that I had at home or had seen at home.  Cruising through Whole Foods the other day I stopped dead in my tracks - there was my scarf.  Ugh!  There goes my charming travel story.

No comments:

Post a Comment