Friday, December 4, 2009

Thinking of Woman . . .


1971 - Before Tizzy n' Lish

We called my Paternal Grandma, Woman.
She was a fantastic lady.

I painted my nails red (esse - well read - love it) last night.
When I was done my shiny, red nails reminded me of Woman.
She didn't just wear red she wore about 50 coats of red nail polish.
I can clearly picture her tan hands with thick red nails.

Growing up we spent Christmas Eve at Woman's house.
They had a beautiful, old and gracious house.
All my memories include big roaring fires, my family spilling out everywhere,
and huge turkey meals with all my cousins.
For some reason the front door was always open.


Are Tizzy & Lish on the list?  Ohh Yeahhhhh!!!!!

After dinner all the kids would inevitably be shoo'ed down to the basement
as our parents and aunts and uncles got ready for Santa's visit.
The basement was heaven for a kid -
there was a full drum set, a piano and a large and ornate collection of my grandma's dresses and furs.


Where's Santa??  We're so excited!

But finally the basement door would open a crack and there was a stampede to get upstairs first.
The next door neighbor would appear at the door in his santa's suit and a whiskey buzz.
We would each get called forward and get a sack full of gifts.
Pandemonium reigned in the living room as everyone tore through their gifts.


1993 - All the cousins on the couch

These are some of the happiest memories of my life.
This weekend my extended family is all getting together to celebrate Christmas.
How I wish I could be there with them.
Instead I'm sending them all of my love and thinking of Woman.



 

2000 - Can't decide if we were more trouble as kids or adults?




2007 - Passing on traditions to the next generation.
Pandemonium still reigns supreme.





No comments:

Post a Comment