Friday, February 12, 2010

A love letter for Eleanore Mulholland Huck . . .



Growing up my maternal Grandmother spent every Friday with my mother.
Meaning she also spent it with us.
They would spend the days scouring the racks at TJ Maxx, Marshall's and Spiegels.
Coming home from school we would always ask as we walked in,
"What did you get?"
Meaning really - 
"What did you get me."


My Grandpa would come and pick her up after work.
There was always a mission to slip a bag in the car without him knowing.
She would shake her head and roll her eyes when she was found out.
Somehow those packages never went back.


My Grandma Huck was beautiful.
She was sweet and kind and also had a temper and was not above holding a grudge.
She was fiercely protective of her family.
Although tiny in stature - she was a force.


A trip to her house was not complete without a handful of gumdrops or marshmallows
 from the large canisters on her kitchen counter.
I spent hours twirling on the stool in  her kitchen 
waiting for the homemade donuts, or cheese roll-ups
or pretzel dip to be finished.


She never had a driving license but was always giving directions.
Both on the road and in our lives.
She taught us all to be kind.


She adored us and we knew it.
We loved her fiercely back.
She celebrated us - and all our success.
I can also hear the click of her tongue in disapproval.
She was not a fool.


I can remember her exquisite little hands.
Her skin as delicate as tissue paper.
My mom has the same hands.
So do I.


She had incredible style and taste
Her treasured jewelry was forever hidden in the drapes.
Every time I wear her watch - someone asks me about it.
I love telling them it was my Grandma's.

  
This is my valentine for her.
I love and miss you, Grandma.


No comments:

Post a Comment