Friday, January 22, 2010

I don't get it . . .




So I keep seeing these pictures pop up.

I just don't get it.
I don't think this is in anyway beautiful.

Now this is absolutely an extreme.
But why are we giving it so much attention?
Seems to only perpetuate the problem.
Or maybe lessen the drama of it.
Making it seem appropriate or normal.
It's not.
It's crazy.

And although this example is someone who's very young
(which makes it even more inappropriate)
I'm always struck when I run into older women
who no longer have their face but are wearing masks.

Honestly  I am fascinated as well as disgusted.

I can't imagine altering your appearance to the point where 'you' are no longer recognizable.
Because they're not.
I can see it.  That plastic slant your face takes.  Can they not?

I'm very aware of time marching slowly across my face.
I'm sure it will get worse.
But I feel like the  wrinkles and crows feet and freckles and imperfections
testify to the life that I have led. 
 And it's a life of laughter and worry - possibly too much time in the sun.
But as an adult I own this.
And I repent at times.
But never to a plastic surgeon.
 
 I keep thinking of the older women I ran across in Italy.
Beautiful in their wrinkles and folds and lives.
Ultimately, it just makes me very sad.
And worried.
What are we teaching our daughters?

No comments:

Post a Comment