Thursday, March 25, 2010

What color are you . . .


I was talking to an old friend the other day and we were talking about when we were growing up.
The talk turned to our mothers and she said her most vivid memory 
 of my mom was when she was doing her nails.

look at those nails

I knew exactly what she meant.
My mom has always had long and beutiful nails and has always done them herself.
I can clearly picture the long file coming out and her elegant hands being sculpted to half moons.
Then the slow deliberate strokes of color changing each nail.
Finally a cigarette was lit and hands were waved in the air as they dried.

Back in the day there wasn't a nail place on every corner.
If you did want your nails done you had to go to a salon and that would run $50 at least.
In  fact, my siblings high school graduation present to me was a manicure and pedicure - my first ever.
Seems crazy now as I've been going with my 10 year old neice for at least 4 years.
But that's the way it was.



In middle school towards the end of the year we were preparing to graduate.
One spring afternoon we were waiting for an assembly when someone busted out their nail polish.
Rather than admonish us - our teacher joined in.
She told us that the secret to a good manicure was 2 thin coats of polish
 and proceeded to provide that for everyone who wanted it.
Funny, this is what I remember from 8th grade.


mint candy apple

Sophomore year in college I was living in a sorority house with 25 other girls.
That spring one of my friends started mixing her own nail poish.
It was revoluntionary at the time - soft and subtle pastels like we had never seen -
mint green, pale pink, bright yellow.
We could have died right then - we were so cool.


I think this is part of the reason I have an obsession with nail colors.
I am trully gaga over them - oh the innovations and possibilities.
And the names!!  The names!!
My hands were painted a delicate pink - ballet slippers - for my wedding.
I still have that color and wear it often.

ballet slippers

I usually stick to a pale pink or neutral for my hands but love something bright for my toes.
I have definetly partaken in the matte nails revolution.
I have navy, brown, charcoal and black for the winter.
Bright red for the holidays.
Hot pinks and purples for the spring and summer.


spooky grey matte nails for a fall wedding.

I can't get enough.
I'm as addicted to buying new nail polishes and colors as some are to going to get their nails done.
Today I'm rocking Essie Watermelon which is bright pink.
It's on my hands and it's bringing me back in time.
I can just picture my mom sitting and waving her hands in the air after she just painted them.


how fantastic are these names for the new essie wedding collection?
show me the ring - brilliant!

I found the following and thought it was funny. 
In a daily horoscope kind of way.

Fire-engine Red: You're sassy, self-assured, and not afraid to be dramatic.
Bright red is a bold, look-at-me color that is a symbol for passion, fire, and confidence.
You love the spotlight, and you take charge of situations.
Hot Pink: You're spunky and energetic.
Pink is a color that is associated specifically with women, and hot pink lets you show your spunk and spice.
Pale Pink: Painting your nails pale pink is a subtle expression.
 You are likely quiet, or at least you don't want to stand out, and youthful.
Pale pink is not significantly different from the color of your nails (if you're caucasian), but you still want to show your soft side.
Black: Painting your nails black is a classic symbol of anti-establishment.
It doesn't mean you are depressed or going goth, but it's a way of rebelling against the norm and showing some of the darkness in your personality.
Navy Blue: This is a color of sophistication and authority.
Wearing this color on your nails tells people to listen up, because you're in charge.
Aqua (Light) Blue: You're showing the youthful and calm side of your personality when you paint your nails a light blue. Aqua is a cool color, a nonchalant color.
French manicure: You are glamorous and professional.
You don't need a whole new color; your nails look good as they are, and you simply emphasize and define yourself.
Magenta: A combination of the reds, pinks, and purples, magenta is feminine but not flashy.
You are vibrant and youthful, but you don't need to be the center of attention at all times.
Orange: This color is bright and vibrant, for people who want attention drawn to them.
 It also symbolizes autumn and the changing seasons: a time of brightness and change.
Dark Brown: A dark and rich color, this shade of brown indicates boldness and authority.
You like your nails like you like your men. Just kidding.
Maroon: Maroon is a warm color, a combo of red and purple, retaining the authority of red and the confidence of purple. It's a mature, sophisticated color that, when worn on your nails, invites respect.
Coffee-colored: You are earthy and energetic. Tan and light brown are earth tones, cool colors that bring you closer to Mother Nature.
Green: This color invokes images of vigor and the environment.
 Going "green" in your nail polish exudes earthiness and spunk.
Deep purple: Purple is the color of royalty.
Wearing it on your nails shows you have a confident personality, and you're not afraid to stand out from the crowd.
Lavender: You are graceful and collected.
 A combination of pink and purple, lavender is feminine and confident without the youthfulness of pure pink.

For what it's worth -
Miss Amanda I think you should be wearing this color this weekend.

bachelorette bash

No comments:

Post a Comment