Thursday, September 2, 2010

Am I expecting too much

from customer service these days. I have a couple of instances in the last week. First there was a book everyone has been raving about, but my shelves are busting at the seams so I decided to start using the public library. I search online to see if any of the branches near me have it. One does, I go in to get it. It's not on the shelf, so I ask the person at the reference desk if it is still available, letting him know I had checked online before coming in. He looks it up says it show being available, and goes to look in the back somewhere. He comes back a couple minutes later, and snaps at me I can't find it. I was a little shocked by his tone so I repeated what he said back to him. To which he replies that's right, there are thousands of books of here, you expect me to find that one. I said okay, and left but what I was thinking was...Yes, I do, because that's your job. And if you can't at least lie to me, and say it may have been checked out, or placed on hold the computer sometimes takes a little while to update. Or one of the other librarians may have it in their restocking pile. Give me something besides there are thousands of books here. I know that, I am standing in a library so it's obvious.

Then I just had to go to Staples to pick up new toner for our stamp machine. I looked it up online to make sure it was something Staples carried in the stores, not just online. I get there and realize I wrote down the machine model # and not the toner #. I go to the helpdesk to see if they can help me figure out which one I need. The guy starts off with the fact that he has never even heard of what I am talking about. I explain I looked it up online and here are the keywords, it's multipurpose etc. He then takes me over to the register area. They have all the toners along that wall. Okay great I can just peruse them, and I would know by box, and details. Nope they don't let customers behind this area. The wall that they are on is a good 4 to 6 feet from where I am allowed to be. I can't see any of the writing on the boxes. So I say can we look this up. He replies if you tell me which one you need. I tell him what I have all over again, and he goes into the whole I don't even know what that is. Which okay if it were 1985 totally understandable for the customer service person at the help desk to not be able to figure out what I am talking about. But seeing as it is 2010 and he is the help desk with a computer, why wouldn't he look it up. I told him I found it online. Which means he should be able to also. It never even occurred to him to look it up. His only help was steering me in the general direction of where the toners were kept.

No comments:

Post a Comment